=(\/)=arauders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

a Freelancer guild

PortalHomePublicationsLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CheshireCat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

CheshireCat Empty
PostCheshireCat

I - Wanderer

Space is a cold place. I can see its darkness, much more hostile and stranger than I’ve seen it all my life. Far away unknown stars glow and New Berlin is left behind. Now there’s no one to place me second, none to cast a shadow upon me, but I’m not alone yet. Remarks and quiet laughter travel to me in the still silence of deep space as I turn the other way and slip into the blanket trying to fall asleep.

---

Babylonia. The pilot screams to us that it will still take us a few hours to reach Merodach. I look at my half destroyed freighter: it needs a new engine first thing; how I am going to afford it it’s a whole other story. Iridescent, flashing lights fill my mind whenever I close my eyes, and a sharp pain in my right temple is awakened. I can never go back now.

---

Merodach at last. I thank the pilot for providing us with a smooth journey and pay him the other half for my passage. He informs me he will still be in Merodach for a few days and gives me his contact, in case I need anything, he explains. I might have just made my first friend and I’m left with a useless freighter parked and no way to repair it.

---

The rush of the streets and skies fill the air: sounds and smells drift here while space had none, nor warmth, nor movement. I look for the nearest, most frequented bar. On my way in, some homeless people rise in hope of a little pity, and inside the pestilent mixture of sweat, dust, tobacco and mould is agonizing. I don’t expect to recognize someone, or to be recognized, so I search for a quiet, hidden place where to seat with a drink and watch my surroundings. I realize as I look around that if I don't find a way out soon, I might never leave this planet.

As I’m seated, across the room my eyes meet with those of another woman, a fair-haired and pale woman with a severe frown upon her face. I move my eyes away. “It has been four days, I believe, since I saw home for the last time.” Fact is days and nights become irrelevant when you spend half your life in space, where there’s no guidance, where there’s no undeniable truth as that of a forever-rising sun. And in this place, where the sun also rises and under the harsh glare of a stranger, I feel no safer than in a collapsing pod.

I notice her rising, slowly, and walk towards me leaving her drink behind on the table. She slides amongst the crowd as if predicting their movements and stops at the foot of the table I am occupying. The woman, keeping her eyes locked in mine, grabs the drink I forsake in front of me and spills it on the floor. I quickly rise still looking her right in the eyes and try to seem taller and more threatening than I actually am. My hands start to quiver, my mouth is dry and my heart thumps insanely inside my chest. I know she’s trying to pick a fight, I don’t know why, but it’s the last thing I need. I try to leave but she blocks me way one time after another. I don’t dare approaching.

Everyone around suddenly seems to have been roused from their chairs and created a circle around the both of us. Again I attempt to go round her but instead of having her block my way I see her moving her arm and flinging a punch at my face. Already expecting it I move quickly clutching the empty glass and throwing it in her direction while dodging the fist and trying to run to the exit, but she grabs me by the back of my neck and throws me against a near table. I am launched to the other side and hit the hard floor as the table falls of top of me. I clumsily get up and try to confront her, but her fist is already in my face and I feel my body being drained of all its strength as I hit the ground a second time.

The fight rapidly moves into the clinch, with me always trying to get the upper hand but failing miserably. She’s bigger, she’s stronger, and she’s faster. As I lay on the ground, barely able to move, I see on her face a look of pure wrath and despise as she spits violently on the ground next to me. “Death to the bureaucrats! Overthrow the allegiance!” I hear her scream and ferocious cheers follow her voice. Only then I realize her hatred it’s towards the Ducale’s uniform I am still wearing and I try to explain, but as I struggle to get up to my feet, cleaning the blood that has run to my eyes, I feel an acute pain in my chin and everything fades to black.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

CheshireCat :: Comments

No Comment.

CheshireCat

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
=(\/)=arauders :: PUBLIC AREA :: ROLEPLAY JOURNALS-
Jump to: